French Toast – the very mention of the word is enough to make mouths water. And the moment you visualise the crispy, golden, yummy dish, you start craving for it spontaneously. The dish has that everlasting charm about it; an age-old recipe that’s been tried out by several food connoisseurs across the world in their own different ways.
And the dish is not just a must-feature on the menu of hotels and restaurants alone. Almost every household would have tried their hands at preparing this iconic recipe at least once. And if successful, multiple times of course, for breakfast or evening snack. It’s fairly easy to try at home and needless to say, fairly cheaper too. Let’s take a look.
- Eggs – 1 no.
- Vanilla essence – 1 tsp.
- Ground cinnamon – ½ tsp.
- Milk – ¼ cup
- Bread – 4 slices
- Butter for greasing
This is for 1 person max 2.
Process to Make French Toast :
- First beat the egg nicely in a shallow bowl until it turns frothy.
- Add a few drops of vanilla essence to the beaten egg for fragrance, and ground cinnamon for flavour.
- Pour milk into the mixture and stir well so that all the ingredients blend in well.
- Now take one slice of bread and dip it into the mixture. Pick the slice carefully, avoiding it to break, turn it over and dip the other side into the mixture too. Make sure that both sides are evenly covered in the batter.
- Heat a non-stick griddle or flat base pan on medium heat and lightly grease it with butter.
- Once the pan is hot and the butter melted, cook the bread slice on one side. Flip it over once it turns slightly golden brown in colour.
- Keep the heat medium consistently to avoid the toast from burning. Once both the sides are cooked, i.e., the toast turns golden front and back, remove it from the pan on to a serving dish.
- Repeat step no. 6 for all the other bread slices as well.
How to Serve
It can go well with a lot of things and there’s no end to using your imagination here. Be innovative and get as creative as you can to make your French Toast yummier. You can do this by serving the toast with some delectable add-ons that definitely help enhance its taste.
Liquid chocolate, maple syrup, fresh strawberries or just berries, and even powdered sugar – the choice is all yours!
One such item that goes perfect with your French Toast is Easy Spiced Syrup. It’s simple to make, is ready in just a few minutes, and enough to add that final cherry-on-the-top touch to your toast.
How to Prepare Easy Spiced Syrup
All you need is just a teaspoon of pure vanilla essence and about a quarter teaspoon of ground cinnamon. Mix them both well with 1 cup of pancake syrup. Once they are well blended, you may choose to heat the syrup to make it slightly warm and then pour it over your steaming hot French Toasts for that perfect snack.
Make French Toast without Eggs
Now though this classic dish tastes lip-smacking with eggs, it’s not impossible to imagine an eggless version of it either. For those who are allergic to eggs, do not like its smell or taste, or are vegetarians for religious or health reasons, here’s an eggless recipe for your favourite dish.
Basically, you need to keep the recipe same as described above; just replace the eggs with 3 key ingredients – corn starch, black salt, and nutritional yeast. You’ll need to mix all these new ingredients with milk, ground cinnamon, sugar, and vanilla essence in a bowl, as mentioned in the original recipe. Then repeat all the steps as detailed earlier and your eggless French Toast is ready!
Wondering How to Prevent French Toast from Getting Soggy?
That’s a common complaint by almost everyone who’s tried making this at home. It’s either eaten fresh and hot, else if you leave it for a while, it’s only soggy toast that’s left of it. You can now avoid this by following a simple tip.
The most common reason for the toast to turn soggy is that you are most likely frying the toast in batches and wait to eat until the last bread slice is done frying.
If this is the case, just preheat the oven to 250˚F. Place a wired tray or rack on a baking sheet and keep putting each fried toast as it’s done on the rack. Place it in the oven while you fry the rest of the slices. Your toasts would remain hot and fresh and you can eat them crisp after you finish.
How to Make Savoury French Toast?
A lot of people (especially those who are diet-conscious and try to stay low on sugar) prefer their French Toast savoury. Here’s how you can make one:
- Whisk eggs in a bowl and then add milk, melted butter, salt, fresh ground black pepper, smoked paprika, garlic powder, onion powder, and chopped parsley. You can keep the quantity of spices to your taste.
- Dip the bread slice into the mixture. Make sure both sides are evenly covered and then fry each slice on a pan greased with butter.
- You can serve the toast hot with a side of tomatoes, cucumber, and avocado.
So as you see, French Toast can be made and served in different ways to suit varying tastes and preferences. Choose the one you like and go crazy on this mouth-watering anytime snack.